Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Playing With Her Heart Blog Stop

Twenty-three year old rising theater star Jill McCormick has built a life out of pretending. Pretending she's happy, pretending she's not haunted by the dark secret that shattered her world six years ago. But then she comes face to face with her new director -- sexy, sophisticated, jealous, all-alpha, dirty-talking Davis Milo. He tries to resist the actress he's cast, but the attraction between them is too powerful, and soon their private rehearsals spiral into new, forbidden territory. The connection, the chemistry is undeniable, and it hits them anywhere, and everywhere -- in the theater, on the piano, in the limo, in the restaurant...But the tragedy in Jill's past stands between them. Davis has walls too, so they can either face their fears together, or risk the most intense love, sex and passion either has ever felt...

"I move with him, letting him touch me, kiss me, taste my body like I'm his canvas and he's painting me with his tongue..."

(Playing With Her Heart is a companion novel in the Caught Up In Us series. It can be read as a standalone.) *Recommended for 17+ due to scorching sexual content and a smoking hot alpha male.


This is the second book I’ve read of Lauren Blakely and I absolutely LOVE it. It’s real, raw, and sexy. It’s believable and beautifully written. I was pulled in from the first page and didn’t want to stop until I finished. I felt everything Jill was going through. I understood what she was going through and how she allowed herself to get lost into the characters she portrayed to feel something, anything even if it was just for the moment. We all have our devices that we allow ourselves to escape into, Jill being her acting, most of us our reading.

“I am the woman on the stage and I’m having what she’s having. Love without reason. Love without fear.”

I was intrigued from the get go. I saw and felt the attracting Jill and Davis had, but worried about the role of Patrick. I’m not a fan of love triangles, I tend to fall for the guy that gets pushed aside, so I try to avoid them at all cost. Lauren Blakely had me captivated with Jill. I knew something happened to her and Lauren did an awesome job mentioning things without giving too much away at the beginning. She left just enough a mystery to keep me hooked and constantly guessing.

“He has undress me eyes.”

So Davis.. *sigh* what could I possibly say about Davis that would do him justice? He’s a rather intriguing, sexy, and talented director who’s been hurt. He’s vowed to never date another actress but then he meets Jill. I love the way Lauren wrote Davis, he has dimension without having to be a bad boy. Is he a bad boy, well that depends on your opinion of what’s bad. *winks* I love that he’s strong willed and knows what he wants. He doesn’t give in easy but he doesn’t back away from a fight either. Those of you have never watched Fight club, you won’t get this... but those of you that have will appreciate it like I do. It’s awesome and I laughed so hard when I read it. “Directing a show is like Fight Club. The first rule of directing is you do not fall for an actress. The second rule of directing is you do not fall for an actress.” LOVE LOVE LOVE this. Seriously, it’s like the mantra of all men before they fall in love.

“And I hardly need my fix anymore. Because of this man here with me. This man is changing me.”

I mentioned Patrick before, so I’m sure you’re dying to know who he is right… well Patrick indirectly saved Jill’s life. She became infatuated with him. See the thing about infatuation is it can be misconstrued as love. Another part of the story I love about the way Lauren wrote this. Nothing comes easy, not even love. Does Jill love Patrick or does she love Davis? That’s the real question and for that you’ll have to read.

“Life is tragic. I know that firsthand. But things happen. And all you can do is keep on living, because you did do everything you could. And sometimes everything you can do still isn’t enough, but that’s life. And that’s death. And that’s the way it is.”

 I was taken on a journey of self-discovery and worth will Jill. She learned to let go of something no one should have to go through or feel guilt over. She learned to love, to feel, and to live life. After all that’s all we really want right? To be able to live life with no regrets, fall in love, and discovery who we really are. Its books like Playing with Her Heart that gets me thinking a little more deeply. Wondering if maybe I should be a little more like some of the characters I read, taking chances, and being free. Its books like this that remind me why I love reading so much.

“No faking, no pretending. Only truth.”


This is definitely one of the best books I’ve read this year and if you haven’t picked up your copy yet, you are totally missing out on an amazing book. I can’t wait to read the rest of Lauren Blakely’s books. Her writing is spectacular and has you feeling as if you are in the book. There's just the right amount of sexy too!
<3-Dani

Playing With her Heart was the sweetest and hottest book I have read in a long time! Davis and Jill’s story was one that I will love for a long time!  I love theater and the 
behind the scene type things.  The musicals and all and for there to be a love story with that in it, hooked me right away! Lauren Blakely, wrote a story that had it ALL in it. 

The Romance, the Sex, the Love and the emotions.  I cried for Jill and her past and my heart hoped that Davis could let down his walls.  

The story starts with Jill auditioning for a musical that Davis is directing.  She thinks she is “in love” with the star, Patrick, and Davis is taken with her and has been for a while.  

You see where this is going right?  But it MADE the story in my opinion. I loved the progression of the story with Davis wanting Jill and their flirting.  Davis did the hot and cold bit and Jill tried to make it okay by wanting Patrick.  But their chemistry was too strong for them to keep away from each other.  I think you will need a cold drink when reading it! However can both Davis and Jill leave their past hurts behind and help each other love again?  

I must say Davis is ONE HOT Director.  Wow! I want to tell you more of the story but really...... I would tell you it all.  I loved it!
-Christina

Buy Playing With Her Heart
Amazon | Amazon UK | B&N | Apple iBook 




Lauren Blakely is an unabashed fan of clever jokes, toast, and good guys in novels. Like the heroine in CAUGHT UP IN US, she thinks life should be filled with movie kisses and coffee drinks. Lauren lives in California with her husband and children, and spends her days writing both true stories and make-believe ones.
Stalk Lauren 
Website | Blog | Facebook 

Stop by Read This Hear That for a character interview!!

No comments:

Post a Comment